Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pepper-Crusted Grilled Flank Steak

I opened up my inbox a few days ago to find this gem of a recipe. My honey hardly gets red meat, so, I figured this would be a special treat. He deserves it :) I tweaked my portion to be veggie friendly.

Fitness Magazine Pepper-Crusted Grilled Flank Steak

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
Salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
1 flank steak (about 1 1/4 pounds) ***I used Morning Star Chik-n-Strips for veggie friendly option***
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil 
1/2 cup light mayonnaise ***Cheated and used what I had on hand Best Foods***
1 cup packed fresh baby spinach leaves ***Added a bit more, <3 spinach***
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Mist the chopped sweet potatoes with cooking spray, season to taste with salt and black pepper and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and tender. 
Set a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of the steak with the oil and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add steak to pan; cook 5 minutes per side for medium. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
In a food processor or blender, combine the mayonnaise, spinach, mustard and garlic powder. Process until smooth.
Serve steak slices with spinach mayonnaise and roasted sweet potatoes.
Spray

Out of the oven... YUM
Doesn't look very good to start out

Omnivore's version

Veggie Version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I love feedback and will respond to all comments via email. Please leave your contact info, if you'd like, so I know where to reach you. I promise not to spam.